What Did Jesus Know?
“God’s Judgment in Christ’s Coming”
(Praise or punishment: attentiveness or neglect)
Part 9: Matthew 25:31-46 ~ 7/26/2020
Dr. Scott T. Arnold ~ First Baptist Church of Los Angeles, CA
INTRODUCTION: “Jesus will come in resplendent glory”
I. Vision: Jesus will come and judge the peoples of the earth (v.31-33)
- Christ Jesus comes in glory with divine authority (31)
- All nations will gather for judgment (32a)
- Like a Shepherd, He separates the sheep from the goats (32b)
- Sheep are on his right, goats on his left (33)
II. Declaration of favorable Judgment for the sheep (v.34-40)
- Welcome and blessing from God the Father (34a)
- Reward of inheritance of God’s Kingdom (34b)
- God’s plan of redemption since the creation of the world (34c)
- Determination of inheritance – faith in action (35-36)
- Helping the hungry (35a)
- Supplying the thirsty (35b)
- Housing the stranger (35c)
- Clothing people in need (36a)
- Caring for the sick (36b)
- Visiting those in prison (36c)
- Surprise of the sheep – presence of Jesus in life (37-39)
- Service for others is service for King Jesus (v.40)
III. Declaration of unfavorable Judgment for the goats (v.41-45)
- Banishment of the cursed into the eternal fire (v.41)
- The goats are banished (41a)
- The devil and his angels are banished in the eternal fire (41b)
- Determination of their destruction – no evidence of faith (42-43)
- Didn’t feed the hungry
- Didn’t offer a drink to the thirsty
- Didn’t invite the stranger in
- Didn’t clothe the naked
- Didn’t care for the sick or imprisoned
- Surprise of the goats – When did we see you? (44)
- Missed opportunity of seeing, serving and knowing Jesus (45)
IV. Final Judgment (The Kingdom of Heaven or destruction in Hell) (46)
Conclusion: How is this Vision and Teaching of Jesus relevant?
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ 41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ 44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ 46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” Matthew 25:31-46
Questions for Discussion:
- Why is this vision of Jesus so important today?
- List signs of our times that indicate why it is important to be ready by serving in Jesus name?
- What is comforting in the reward given to the “sheep”? What criteria did God use?
- What is challenging about the punishment given to the “goats”? What was missing in their lives?
VIEW LIVE-STREAM WORSHIP ON SUNDAYS – CLICK HERE
Want to learn more?
To get a copy of Pastor Scott T. Arnold’s book called: “What Did Jesus Know?” now – CLICK HERE