What Did Jesus Know?
“Warning to the Church” (Will you be wise or foolish?)
Part 7: Matthew 25:1-13 ~ 7/12/2020
Dr. Scott T. Arnold ~ First Baptist Church of Los Angeles, CA
INTRODUCTION: “The Wisdom of Preparation and taking Precautions”
I. Parable: Readiness for the Kingdom of Heaven (v.1)
- Ten virgins
- The Bridegroom
II. The Foolish and the Wise (v. 2-4)
- Setting the Stage (2)
- The problem of foolish assumptions (3)
- The wisdom of faith and hope (4)
III. God’s preparations call for patience and perseverance (v.5)
IV. The Groom’s midnight arrival and the symbol of the lamps (v.6-7)
- Midnight arrival (6a)
- Come to the Bridegroom (Heeding the Call) (6b)
- Waking up and trimming the lamps (7)
V. Readiness is a personal responsibility (8-10)
- Procrastination will leave you in the dark (8)
- People cannot solve everyone’s problems (9)
- Vigilance will light the way into God’s Kingdom (10a)
- Missed opportunity will keep doors shut. (10b)
VI. Not Knowing the Lord (11-12)
- Will mercy be extended? (11)
- Not knowing the Lord (12)
VII. Be watchful and ready. (13)
1 “At that time the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. 2 Five of them were foolish and five were wise. 3 The foolish ones took their lamps but did not take any oil with them. 4 The wise ones, however, took oil in jars along with their lamps. 5 The bridegroom was a long time in coming, and they all became drowsy and fell asleep. 6 “At midnight the cry rang out: ‘Here’s the bridegroom! Come out to meet him!’ 7 “Then all the virgins woke up and trimmed their lamps. 8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil; our lamps are going out.’ 9 “‘No,’ they replied, ‘there may not be enough for both us and you. Instead, go to those who sell oil and buy some for yourselves.’ 10 “But while they were on their way to buy the oil, the bridegroom arrived. The virgins who were ready went in with him to the wedding banquet. And the door was shut. 11 “Later the others also came. ‘Lord, Lord,’ they said, ‘open the door for us!’ 12 “But he replied, ‘Truly I tell you, I don’t know you.’ 13 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour. Matthew 25:1-13
Questions for Discussion:
- The wise virgins saved enough oil and the foolish virgins did not. What meaning does this have as it pertains to people being ready or not for Christ’s return?
- The image of the bridegroom is given to Jesus, the virgins represent those called to accompany Jesus to the wedding. What does this parable teach about personal spiritual care and devotion to the Lord?
- What areas of diversion, or loss of purpose, tend to sap our spiritual reserves if we are not careful?
- In the end times, the coming of Jesus at midnight tells us that it will come in God’s timing, and not ours. How do we keep awake, supported, steadfast and vigilant as we exercise readiness?
VIEW LIVE-STREAM WORSHIP ON SUNDAYS – CLICK HERE
Want to learn more?
To get a copy of Pastor Scott T. Arnold’s book called: “What Did Jesus Know?” now – CLICK HERE