What Did Jesus Know?
(Fleeing and the Fall of Jerusalem, 70 A.D.)
Week 3: Matthew 24:15-22 ~ 6/14/2020
Dr. Scott T. Arnold ~ First Baptist Church of Los Angeles, CA
Doom for Dystopia. Change is not easy. Abomination and tribulation.
I. Jesus knew about the Destruction of the Jerusalem Temple (v.15)
- The abomination, desolation that led to the destruction in 70 A.D
- The abomination and desolation of the end times (Daniel)
II. Jesus warns the people of Judea to flee (v.16-18)
- “Head for hills” (16)
- “Up on the roof” (17)
- “Out Standing in your field” (18)
III. Jesus speaks of “Days of Dread” with a call for prayer (19-20)
- Jesus’ concern for life and compassion for the vulnerable (19)
- Jesus’ call for people to pray and be prepared (20)
IV. Jesus foretells the coming of the “Great Tribulation” (21)
- Great distress (21a)
- Worse than any other time in history (21b)
- Never to be equaled again (21c)
V. Jesus gives a glimmer of hope (22)
- Some will survive the “Great Tribulation” (22a)
- God will extend mercy and grace to the remnant elect (22b)
15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let no one on the housetop go down to take anything out of the house. 18 Let no one in the field go back to get their cloak. 19 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers! 20 Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath. 21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again. 22 “If those days had not been cut short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the elect those days will be shortened. – Matthew 24:15-22
Questions for Discussion:
- Why does a parent give warning to their children?
- The upcoming destruction of the temple, and the destruction and devastation of Jerusalem, would be a horrendous event. Why was it important for Jesus to give specific words of warning regarding this?
- What were the disciples to do with this information? What are we to do with this information?
- How is Jesus calling people today to be alert, vigilant and ready?
- If we are living in the “end times”, what might we expect, according to Jesus (Matthew 24:15-22)?
VIEW LIVE-STREAM WORSHIP ON SUNDAYS – CLICK HERE
Want to learn more?
To get a copy of Pastor Scott T. Arnold’s book called: “What Did Jesus Know?” now – CLICK HERE