“Moving Forward into a New Day”
Acts 1:1-11. Key word: “Service”
May 17, 2020 at First Baptist Church of Los Angeles, CA
Week 20: “Sojourning with King Jesus” Dr. Scott Arnold
Introduction: Why we need the Holy Spirit. Preparation, empowerment, discernment and coordination. Wait training.
A. Luke summarizes Jesus Ministry (Acts 1:)
- Jesus ministry of action and teaching (1-2)
1 In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen.
- Jesus ministry after the resurrection (3)
3 After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God.
B. Jesus’ Vision of God’s Holy Spirit to come (4-5)
- Jesus’ command to wait for His Heavenly Father’s gift (4)
4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised,which you have heard me speak about.”
- Jesus’ promise of baptism by the Holy Spirit (5)
5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”
C. Jesus’ Vision of Moving Forward into a New Day (6-8)
- Table fellowship dialogue with Jesus (6)
6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”
- Jesus did not reveal everything (7)
7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.
- Jesus reveals what we need for engagement in mission (8)
8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
D. Disciples must operate on faith vision (9-11)
- Jesus goes up to Heaven of sight (9)
9 After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
- The disciples were frozen in wonder and awe (10)
10 They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going, when suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them.
- Confronted and encouraged by angels (11)
11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.”
Key Point: Jesus to forgive us, reconcile us to God, and give the Holy Spirit to all who believe in Him and receive the gift of God’s grace. By the work of God’s grace, people receive the Holy Spirit and are born again. Not only this, Jesus calls us to receive the Holy Spirit so that we may be equipped and empowered to be His witnesses. This begins from home, (Jerusalem), and extends to our region/state (Samaria) and out into the world (the ends of the earth).
- What are the convincing proofs of Jesus’ ministry to the disciples and to us today?
- Why is it important to wait and pray for the Holy Spirit? How did this help the disciples grow in reliance upon God?
- Jesus did not reveal His Heavenly Father’s detailed plan for the future. Why is this a blessing not to know everything that will happen?
- What is your Jerusalem, Samaria or “Ends of the earth”? How are you to be a witness in these days of the internet and global reach?
- Do you believe Jesus may return soon to the earth?
VIEW LIVE-STREAM WORSHIP ON SUNDAYS – CLICK HERE