“The Quest to Discover God’s Spirit”
John 3:1-17 Key word: “Love” Rev. Dr. Scott T. Arnold
2/16/2020 at First Baptist Church of Los Angeles, CA
Week 7: “Sojourning with King Jesus“
Introduction: The Quest of knowing God and the message and ministry of Jesus the Christ. God forgives and redeems; the giver of grace and life in the Spirit. “Man does not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”
A. __________ Spiritual Hunger. John 3:1-2. 1 Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
B. Blindness and Alienation (John 3:3-6)
- Being born again to ________ God’s Kingdom (3-4) 3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.” 4 “How can someone be born when they are old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely they cannot enter a second time into their mother’s womb to be born!”
- Being born of the __________ and the Spirit (5-6) 5 Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. 6 Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit.
C. A ___________ Mystery in Jesus testimony (John 3:7-12)
- Jesus reinforces God’s ______ of giving New Life . (7-8) 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
- Nicodemus struggles to believe (9-12) 9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked. 10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 Very truly I tell you, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
D. Jesus ____ His Divine Identity and Purpose (John 3:13-17)
- Jesus testimony of His Divine Sacrifice for Salvation (13-15).
13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven —the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him.”
- John the Disciple’s Testimony to God’s Redeeming _____ (16-17)
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Key Point: There is new life, born of the Holy Spirit of God for all who repent of their sins and are baptized within. This baptism comes through faith in God, His Son, and His Holy Spirit. New life is given as a gift of God’s grace that is received through faith; Life in the Spirit is sustained by one’s choices in a continued journey of following King Jesus and the wise, life-giving, counsel of God’s Holy Spirit.
- How have you seen people search for spiritual things but take God out of the equation? What is their concept of spirituality?
- What was the essential question and curiosity of Nicodemus?
- How did Jesus reply “You must be born again” surprise and confound Nicodemus? What seemed to be Nicodemus’s deeper problem?
- Jesus pointed out that the mystery of God’s Spirit requires a change within. Were Nicodemus and Israel ready to believe? If not, what were the reasons they could not believe?
- According to John 3:13-17, why did Jesus come from Heaven?